HAZID (Hazard Identification) Study
HAZID (Hazard Identification) is a qualitative technique used for hazard identification in the early project stage considering the existing site infrastructure, weather, and geotechnical data. The focus is on early identification of potential hazards and threats effecting people, the environment, assets or reputation.
Key benefit of a HAZID study is to provide essential inputs to project development decisions. Major findings and hazard ratings helps to prioritize the actions.
- Identify and systematically assess all major hazards and potential incident events associated with the identified construction activities, with a focus on HSE and equipment hazards;
- Evaluate the identified risks that have the potential to affect personnel, assets, production or the environment;
- Where necessary, make recommendations to eliminate or reduce risks;
- Assess Major Accident Events (MAEs);
- Record the workshop findings;
- Include results in the implementation procedures; and
- Provide a basis for the ongoing monitoring and closure of associated actions.
HAZID is a brainstorming activity which is used to gather information from well experienced personnel from operations, engineering, project management and HSE staff together to identify the issues surrounding the facility. The HAZID workshop study is typically performed as per the following steps:
- The facility is divided into a number of ‘subsystems’ based on the layout and the process,
- Guidewords are applied from the HAZID checklist for selected system,
- If the hazard is possible, continue or apply another Guideword ,
- Brainstorm the causes for the hazards,
- Evaluate the consequences and qualitatively assess the risk,
- Identify Safeguards to control/mitigate the hazards,
- Recommend, if the safeguards are not sufficient
- Identification of hazards and safeguards at an early stage in the design of a facility.
- HSE hazards are revealed at an early stage in the project, before significant costs have been incurred;
- Design or Construction delays and budget over-runs are avoided;
- Help decision makers take necessary steps for sustainable business.